We’re excited to be able to announce this new opportunity to join the team at Gaze Burvill. As a Furniture Designer you will be working closely with our Design Manager and Production Team in a hands-on and creative role. Please have a read of our job description below and if this sounds like the role for you or someone you know then please get in touch or share.
Gaze Burvill are designers and makers of finely crafted wooden furniture and kitchens for the outdoors (predominantly oak). Each piece is expertly made for comfort, beauty and lasting quality from sustainable sources. Steam-bending and sophisticated CAD/CAM techniques on 4, 5 and 6 axis CNCs, are used by specialist craftsmen at our Hampshire workshop to create the signature curves which make Gaze Burvill designs unique, and a pleasure to own.
To work with the Design Manager & Production Team to take designs from Concept to Production in a way which meets with the commercial constraints of high end low volume manufacture. Engage in Research and Development of all methods and materials related to supporting the company objectives of being an outstanding innovator at the leading edge of the market.
Day to Day Tasks
- Custom / Bespoke Projects – producing required drawings and Bill Of Materials ready for production handover.
- R&D, including investigating new ways to reduce time from Design to Manufacture and joining in discussions on how processes can be evolved to improve time and energy efficiency as well as reducing waste.
- New Design Development – assisting with design research, product briefs and concept generation through to prototyping and workshop drawings.
- Supporting CNC department to create CAM programmes for custom / bespoke products
- Drawing Management – Ensuring all drawings are maintained in an accessible up to date order.
- Outsourcing – Liaising with external fabricators/suppliers, negotiating and confirming prices. Coordinating drawings and specifications.
- Working with the Design Manager and Production to prototype new products, custom elements or part of product testing.
An understanding of design and manufacture of timber products with a desire to work within a creative and collaborative environment.
- Degree in furniture design or related products.
- Good sketching and model making ability.
- Knowledge of woodworking processes and the use and handling of complimentary outdoor materials i.e stainless steel, outdoor fabrics (preferred).
- Good technical skills in 2D & 3D modelling (preferably AutoCAD and Fusion 360)
- A keen interest in design and craftsmanship.
- Creative and driven individual with an eye for detail.
- Enthusiastic can- do approach and willing to work as a team on a variety of projects.
- Driving Licence.
This is a great opportunity to grow your career within a dynamic creative practice, and enjoy the idea of working in a rural idyll in Hampshire.
Start Date Jan 2021 & Closing Date for applications: 23 October 2020.
To submit your application for this position please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject for email: ‘Furniture Designer’.
We look forward to hearing from you.